Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CES Anyone?  (Read 2439 times)
kevipapo1
Administrator

I specialize in cool shit

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:33 AM »

Because obviously CES should be in the PC section...

To begin, let's look at the truth.
Second, let's look at a contender for my future work device.

Third? Your turn. What's got you psyched about CES? Anything cool you read about?

Kevin J Snyder: producer, DJ, blogger, gamer, partygoer, occasionally developer. A true hacker at heart <3
stjimmyskater

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »

Meh. Tablet PCs mean nothing to me. I can't find a practical use for one. Get a laptop. The end.
Haloruler64
The Lovable Russian Bastard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »

Meh. Tablet PCs mean nothing to me. I can't find a practical use for one. Get a laptop. The end.

Netbooks: Cheap, fast as hell now, small, do everything and anything aside from Crysis, etc.
Laptops: Do absolutely everythihng, STILL cheap, pretty portable
Tablets: Do a few things, run a cut down OS, better battery life (kinda, the iPad anyway, not really much for Android), not useful for school unlike netbooks.

Last point: why get a $500 limited tablet if you can get a beast $400 netbook with an incredibly sharp screen and an Nvidia 9400M GT that does almost anything?

GOODBYE
kevipapo1
Administrator

I specialize in cool shit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »

Netbooks don't feel natural 90% of the time. And even when they do, they still don't. The small size is just a bit too far. They're portable, do everything, but trackpads, keyboards, and even screens...All a bit too small for me. That said, your netbook is excellent Dima. I don't really like Nick's at all. Bad trackpad, bad keyboard. And he admits it too.

One of these tablets would be great. Those ASUS ones look nice, with the sliding out keyboard. It seems like a good size, too. The keyboard on the iPad, although virtual, is well sized. Does it type well? I don't think so, but it does have the right size. A tablet like that ASUS slide one, except not Android, maybe dumbed down Windows or something, and I think it would be good. Oh, and WINDOWS NEEDS TO BE GOOD ON TABLETS!! Microsoft has made strides since XP, but god dammit, they're nowhere near getting the expected experience. Even with the improvements, I can't at all say Windows is cut out for tablets. At all. The new Windows 7 UI would fit well, but you need multi touch for the keyboard. Make Windows apps support multi-touch. Regular apps don't need to support it, but it needs to be there for the keyboard and maybe Windows apps, maybe not even. A full-size keyboard also needs to be there, much like Android: popping up at the bottom of the screen for any text box you click on.

That said, I need something for next year. I'm not going through the school year next year without a portable interface to take notes on and bring out and about with me. I got a gaming laptop because my parents are divorced and I have to move back and forth pretty often. I don't just move the laptop, I move my CDs, my USB cables, my Xbox controller, my DJ controller, and other utilities. The laptop itself is too much to carry to school, let alone all that shit. And the battery life is piss poor; It was meant to rape the processes it runs.

Something portable, something with a good battery life, and something with a desktop OS that's sized down WELL for a tablet, as well as having some sort of a physical keyboard. The ASUS Slide seems to do all that, except the desktop OS part. And like I said before, no netbook because even the best ones still feel too small. But if it's the only choice (because nothing but a phone should run Android in it's current form, even Honeycomb), I'll take it.

Kevin J Snyder: producer, DJ, blogger, gamer, partygoer, occasionally developer. A true hacker at heart <3
rokrboy

Look Into My Eyes.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »

Netbooks: Cheap, fast as hell now, small, do everything and anything aside from Crysis, etc.
Tablets: Do a few things, run a cut down OS, better battery life (kinda, the iPad anyway, not really much for Android), not useful for school unlike netbooks.

Last point: why get a $500 limited tablet if you can get a beast $400 netbook with an incredibly sharp screen and an Nvidia 9400M GT that does almost anything?

GOODBYE
Nvidia 9400m gt doing almost anything

Also I'd hold off on the tablet. They honestly don't seem to be worth it. Dima is right on the netbook being a better idea. It will also last longer, and invariably be more durable. New tech is coming out all next year (processors) So by the end of 2011 you should see revolutions in not only netbooks but tablets. AFAIK, sandy bridge descendants and things like AMD bobcat will be used.  The netbook will do everything well besides gaming for 80-905 of the people that use them.
Haloruler64

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »

Netbooks don't feel natural 90% of the time. And even when they do, they still don't.
Haloruler64

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »

GOODBYE
Nvidia 9400m gt doing almost anything

Also I'd hold off on the tablet. They honestly don't seem to be worth it. Dima is right on the netbook being a better idea. It will also last longer, and invariably be more durable. New tech is coming out all next year (processors) So by the end of 2011 you should see revolutions in not only netbooks but tablets. AFAIK, sandy bridge descendants and things like AMD bobcat will be used.  The netbook will do everything well besides gaming for 80-905 of the people that use them.

Plays games well, beasts in a lot of things actually. My ION 9400M GT and Atom 1.66 GHz is acutally REALLY good performance, especially for $400. Plays games well!

Also Windows 7 has native multitouch support at release
rokrboy

Look Into My Eyes.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »

It does decent because of its lower resolution. I've used my friends dell quite a few times, and its neat, but nothing impressive, at least compared to what I'm used to.
I do agree with you, that it would suit kevins needs better than the tablet. Obviously though, you don't want to do any heavy gaming or application use with a netbook. But yeah, late this year, and next year much better technology should be out for mobile computers an netbooks. If gaming is in the cards occasionally alienware mx11's can be had for 550 bucks, which are intensely powerful for their resolution and form factor.
Haloruler64

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »

It does decent because of its lower resolution. I've used my friends dell quite a few times, and its neat, but nothing impressive, at least compared to what I'm used to.
I do agree with you, that it would suit kevins needs better than the tablet. Obviously though, you don't want to do any heavy gaming or application use with a netbook. But yeah, late this year, and next year much better technology should be out for mobile computers an netbooks. If gaming is in the cards occasionally alienware mx11's can be had for 550 bucks, which are intensely powerful for their resolution and form factor.

Umm, 1366x768 is not low res for an 11.6" screen, it's crazy sharp. That's the average res for a 15.6" laptop. It does great at its res even for light gaming. But what you're used to is something people like me can't even afford.
rokrboy

Look Into My Eyes.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »

Tongue
True. But, the device's uses depends on the needs of the needs of the user. I
 My whole point is that the integrated graphics whether they be ION, or intel's do good/decently because of the lower resolution available on a netbook screen. The  m11x does well because it has a dedicated graphics chip and I believe integrated graphics to boot. (AFAIK) Anyways, the dedicated chip is far ahead from integrated graphics or a 9400m gt, but at that the m11x product as a whole markets itself to a whole different kind of user because, most, of the price tag.  Undecided
And, don't get me wrong Dima. I'm not rich, I've saved and bought all of my computer parts, and its taken years and multiple jobs to do. Its where my interests lie and where I hope my profession lies as well.

In any case, something completely unrelated.
 How hot does your netbook get? My friends was getting so hot it was damn scary, like cooking and egg on the bottom of the shell scary.  Shocked  

The netbook will do everything well besides gaming for 80-90% of the people that use them.
Tongue thats what i meant. damn keyboard
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:21:49 PM by rokrboy » Logged
Haloruler64

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »

Tongue
True. But, the device's uses depends on the needs of the needs of the user. I
 My whole point is that the integrated graphics whether they be ION, or intel's do good/decently because of the lower resolution available on a netbook screen. The  m11x does well because it has a dedicated graphics chip and I believe integrated graphics to boot. (AFAIK) Anyways, the dedicated chip is far ahead from integrated graphics or a 9400m gt, but at that the m11x product as a whole markets itself to a whole different kind of user because, most, of the price tag.  Undecided
And, don't get me wrong Dima. I'm not rich, I've saved and bought all of my computer parts, and its taken years and multiple jobs to do. Its where my interests lie and where I hope my profession lies as well.

In any case, something completely unrelated.
 How hot does your netbook get? My friends was getting so hot it was damn scary, like cooking and egg on the bottom of the shell scary.  Shocked  

The netbook will do everything well besides gaming for 80-90% of the people that use them.
Tongue thats what i meant. damn keyboard

Yeah Intel graphics suck, I have had ENOUGH of those. 9400M serves me well. I'm a gamer, and I have a gaming rig at home, but for school I NEED a lightweight netbook and this thing is perfect. I couldn't settle with a 10" Intel chipset 1024x600 POS, so I went with a really high end one. It plays games, and for stuff like Crysis I go home Tongue $400 is amazing price tho, can't get anything for gaming for under $800.

Also don't get me wrong, TOTALLY not calling you rich. Just calling me poor Cheesy (Kevin, intervene RIGHT here). Joking aside, I really can't afford much, my gaming computer is outdated and purchased outdated on sale, my netbook is the most I could afford, wanting an M11x or at least a nice 14" notebook. But please, don't think I'm calling you rich in the least, I respect those who work for their things a LOT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: